Emily Jacobs - Environmental Educator

Reflections/the Beginnings...

One of my favorite sayings is "Life is a journey, not a destination". Most of my life I have adhered to that, but over the last six months with all of its preparations, expectations, and experiences, this part of my life was really about the destination! Osaka, Japan - wow. A place I never imagined going to before, and yet a place that will shape my future and live in my memories...

It all began with a phone call back in late November from an employer of mine, recommending me for the program. I looked into it, having no idea of what Rotary really was, much less the Group Study Exchange program. Two interviews and two weeks later I found myself selected, and on the way to the land of the Rising Sun.

Our group was really everything I could have hoped for. Four people of such diverse backgrounds and yet somehow we all meshed together so well. We started meeting in January, first to get to know each other, then later to work on our presentation and to have Japanese lessons. We had five sessions of lessons with a teacher originally from Kobe. Grammar, vocabulary, sentence structure and of course pronunciation were all the tools she gave us for our big trip. We were asked to create a presentation highlighting diversity and ethnicity in Wisconsin and America. Each of us highlighted an area that we were familiar with, with my part of the presentation was on Wisconsin's environment. We put a powerpoint presentation together, practiced once at a send off party our district in Wisconsin hosted, and then suddenly, the day had come!

Our Hosts- Rotarians of District 2660...

From the moment our flight touched down in Osaka, the Japanese Rotarians were incredibly accommodating and welcoming. A huge entourage greeted us at Kansai International Airport, including the team from District 2660 that later visited us in Wisconsin. We were then whisked off to the New Otani Hotel - our home base for the next few weeks. A personal tour of the city with their GSE team, sumo tournament tickets, orchestra seats, and many other "special" events were planned during our stay. Nothing was out of the question to accommodate us on our visit.

Of all the Japanese people that we met, the ones that had the largest impact were my host families. We stayed with four separate families during our visit, with a week in each home. I think that when we visit a new culture, we often have certain perceptions about the people. Being able to live with the Japanese families did nothing but eliminate those stereotypes. Each family that I stayed with was incredible and did their best to meet my needs. When I originally arrived, I had a terrible cold. The Osaka GSE Rotarians were concerned about my health and made sure that each of my families knew about my "illness". The first family was so concerned that they provided me with a wool blanket, an electric blanket and had the heat on full blast in my bedroom to make sure that I wouldn't "catch a cold". At the very least, we were going to sweat out my virus and by the end of the week I felt much better!

Staying with different families also provided me with different "looks" into family and Japanese life. Each week provided me with a different experience and perspective. Some highlights have to be: a barbecue under the sakura (cherry blossoms), partaking in a hot spring, seeing the musical "Cats" for the first time (in Japanese!), undergoing a full tea ceremony, teaching "Go Fish" to my young Japanese host sisters (triplets, age 11!) and even wearing a kimono. It was in the families that I had a true sense of being Japanese and to be quite literal, a TASTE (with the food) of the Japanese culture as well!

What I learned about Japan ...

The GSE program is two-tiered. One aspect is cultural and the other vocational. Before we departed for Osaka, each of the team members tried to prepare ourselves for the culture shock. When I first arrived, I often found myself caught feeling as though I was still in America, and then suddenly I would be reminded (usually quite vividly) that I was actually in another country halfway around the world. Seeing a geisha girl, turning the corner to find a neighborhood temple, and walking through the seafood markets - fresh with squid and octopus - were all examples of my reality check. Eventually, it seemed everything about Japan was different. From the chopsticks for our silverware to the special bathroom sandals - I had to stay on my toes to make sure that I was culturally correct. Some customs and traditions were amazing. Going to see sumo was incredibly surreal. I never knew that it had so many ties to the Shinto religion, or never expected tea to be served in my viewing box. I grew to love the smell of tatami (traditional Japanese mats that lined two of my bedrooms), the taste of ocha (tea), and the fresh, fresh fruit. I even had my first taste of caviar, went to Easter mass in Japanese, and sang my first karaoke. I felt honored to get a chance to wear the kimono, and see ancient traditions such as the tea ceremony or flower arranging being performed. It was then that I truly recognized and appreciated our cultural differences. Probably the most significant cultural experience was going to Hiroshima. Standing near the target site for the bomb drop, walking alongside a river that had evaporated during the bombing and seeing the thousands of paper cranes folded for peace is an experience I will never forget. The most astounding thing to me was that the Japanese don't blame America for what happened. According to both my interpreter and other Rotarians that I asked, Hiroshima is viewed as something that both sides had a role in and responsibility for. Their primary focus now is peace and understanding. That sort of acceptance was truly astonishing. Vocationally, as an environmental educator my visit focused primarily on the environmental actions of several companies. I visited an incineration plant, natural gas facility and electric company. What was the most different to me was the combination of activities and facilities. For example, the incineration plant had a fitness center complete with a swimming pool that the general public used which was heated with the heat generated by burning garbage! The Japanese also seemed to recycle many of their products (much more than Americans do) and even have several laws which require certain technologies (such as televisions) that are completely recyclable and returnable to their manufacturers once they wear out. I was also privileged to visit two of the United Nations offices in Japan. At each of these visits, I was able to meet with officials to discuss environmental education and the state of the environment on our planet. Perhaps not surprisingly, both Japan and America have similar environmental issues to deal with and to solve.

Unforgettable memories...

Having visited such a phenomenal country for four weeks, there are many unforgettable memories. Some of my favorites include: Being "adopted" by my host families. One of my host mothers didn't have a daughter and decided that I would be her "new" child. She even learned English only because I was coming and talked about coming to America for my wedding. One of the Rotary clubs hosted a barbecue for all of us. Being served Miller Beer, wearing special slippers on the patio, and grilling octopus at pool side is definitely one of my favorite memories. Go Charlie! The Japanese bath. I had never been in a bath before that was filled so high that you actually floated when you inhaled! Yet, I felt honored to share that Japanese tradition and grew to enjoy it as a way to wind down from an exhilarating day. Having my first yoga class. I attended a yoga class with one of my host families. All in Japanese, it was hard for me to follow along and "concentrate" on my breathing when I couldn't understand the instructions! I even did my first handstand in about ten years - yet I can't imagine a more perfect place to have my first lesson. I'm not sure my rather stern yoga instructor was as delighted as I was in the experience! The barbecue under the sakura. I went to a BBQ with my first host sister and her friends. Although I spoke no Japanese and few spoke much English, it is a night that I think of fondly. Two of the people at the party were making fun of each other's accents (the accent in Osaka is different than Tokyo) and I could follow along with the teasing, just by body language and inflection. I also found it quite hilarious that I realized after about a half an hour sitting on a tarp under the cherry blossoms, that I was the only person who still had her shoes on - whoops! The food! Before I left, I never thought I would have tried octopus, eel, and cherry blossom ice cream or drank a beverage whose title was "Pocari Sweat".

Thank you!

As always there are many people to thank for our program and visit. I would like to extend a special thank you to: The GSE organizing team for District 2660; Mr. Nomura, Mr. Matsuoka and Mr. Katoh; The GSE 2660 team that during May visited us in America - affectionately known to us as the "J-Team" (Japanese team); My host families; District 6260 (our sponsors); and the West Bend Noon Rotary Club (my sponsor), and Rotary International, for putting together such a selfless program for non-Rotarians! To my fellow "A-Team" members, you guys are the best!