GSE Report for GSE Trip to D-1050 In Manchester, England
September 13 through October 17, 2002

Kazuya Nakanishi

GSE Team Leader
Senri Maple Rotary Club

RIBI Rotary Club Meetings

All the Rotary Clubs in Great Britain belong to a national organization called the RIBI (Rotary International in Great Britain and Ireland). I was struck by the fact that, since they follow after the form associated with the clubs affiliated with the American Rotary International, the RIBI club meetings always have the flags of both countries on display to show the Anglo-Saxon bond that seems to exist between the two countries. The meetings always begin with grace and have a toast to the Queen before serving dessert. Most clubs have a raffle costing one pound, which all the members take part in. The winner receives a small bottle of wine. Since gambling is completely legal in England, things like this are needed to pay for the clubs' service activities. I guess you could say it is similar to the niko niko (smile) boxes we have here in Japan at our club meetings.

At the Stockport Lamplighter Club

Rotary Club Financial Operations

The thing that struck me most was how inexpensive operating costs and membership dues are in England. The average cost of joining the Rotary is L300 and annual dues are about L400. This is quite low, and to be sure some clubs are under rather severe financial limitations, but the personal cost to individual members is rather low, making it easier for the clubs to have members from a broad range of incomes and making it possible for them to increase membership and expand their activities. Still, even though they are working hard to increase membership, there are strict reviews of potential new members, so they have almost no problem with the quality of their members. To reduce costs, the average dinner meeting costs about L7.00, and those who work in the club office and their secretaries receive no salary at all. Of course, when there are special events, such as Christmas gatherings, charity night, club anniversary parties, etc., they must pay extra if their wives accompany them. The same goes for the bimonthly interchange dinner meetings. In principle, all the operating expenses for service work and charity work (everything other than costs of regular meetings and basic operating expenses) are paid for by fund-raising activities. They are very good at collecting donations from private citizens and service organizations. (See appended sample budget.)

Rotary Donations

Another big difference between the Rotary in England and the Rotary in Japan is how the Paul Harris Fellow donation system is handled. In Japan, one can be recognized as a PHF by donating the equivalent of about L250, whereas in RIBI clubs, even if you donate more than L600, you are not automatically qualified for commendation as a PHF. Unless the board of directors of a registered club shows that you have ample reason to be commended (due to your contributions and service activity results), the district governor will not give you the PHF commendation. When I mentioned to one club president that I had received multiple PHF commendations over the years, his expression changed to one of awe. It seems that in RIBI clubs, the PHF commendation is something that is extremely precious and valuable, and receiving it is a great honor.

INNER WHEEL

An organization that is giving tremendous support to Rotary activities in England is something called the "Inner Wheel," a women's group consisting of the wives and daughters of RIBI members who meet once a month and carry out completely separate service activities. Rarely, they may do things together, like a family Rotary club meeting, but in principle they operate independently and carry out completely different kinds of activities. Over the past few years, the Rotary has been trying to attract more female members, and this seems to be counteracting the activities of the Inner Wheel to some extent as these women join the Rotary. At any rate, the Inner Wheel is an organization with much more vitality than other women's groups.

FORTY-ONE CLUB

I'd like to change directions here a bit, and talk a little bit about RIBI club meetings. About 30 minutes before the meetings begin, there is an important friendship-building time during which everyone stands around, beer or wine glass in hand, talking to one another. To break the ice, they will skillfully tell some joke or something, looking you straight in the eye in order to help you relax. We Japanese are quite poor at this type of thing, and I admired the way British people nurture this skill from their youth in this gentlemanly country. I think we in Japan can learn much from the system they have in England, where their young people are able to join other high-class organizations prior to becoming Rotarians. For young people, they have an organization called Round Table, and for middle-aged people there is the Forty-one Club. I felt keenly the need for us here in Japan to improve and reform the JC and Rotary-Act activities even more.

GSE PRESENTATION

During our GSE presentations, which were given at those clubs that formally invited us, we showed the 2004 Kansai International Campaign video (which we received from our District Governor Mr. Inoue) for the first 10 minutes. Next, each of the team members gave a PowerPoint to introduce themselves and talk about Osaka. Each member had about 4 or 5 minutes to speak, and then I spoke about the historical development of Anglo-Japanese relations, and the common points between Buddhist charity and Rotarian friendship.

I think Yumi Sano (sponsored by the Chayamachi RC), who talked about how Osaka is the Manchester of the East, and Kiyoshige Okada (sponsored by the Shinsaibashi RC), who showed photos of himself doing sumo, were able to grab the attention and interest of the audiences particularly well. When Madoka Daigo (sponsored by the Hirakata RC) talked about "rush-hour hell" in Japan and showed a photo of platform guides pushing people onto the trains, the audience burst out laughing, but she seemed to have quite a difficult time trying to explain to the British how one goes about taking a bath here in Japan. Northern England is rather cold, and most bathrooms have thick carpet on the floor, and there is nowhere for someone to wash themselves outside the bathtub. Shigekazu Koike (sponsored by the Utsubo RC) spoke about Japan and its geography, climate, and typhoons, and quite a few people found what he said to be quite interesting.

I spoke about four main topics: the history of interchange between Japan and England, starting with the meeting of William Adams (Miura Anjin) and Tokugawa Ieyasu (1600); Japan's great naval victory in 1905 that was the result of the Anglo-Japanese Alliance and port federation, which was able to wear down the Baltic fleet physically and mentally; the meaning of pilgrimages for collecting alms by young monks undergoing Zen training; and the state of enlightenment shown by the rock garden and the basin used for washing one's hands at Ryoanji Temple.
We gave our presentations almost ten times during our stay in England, and we were able to get through them more or less successfully, I think.

IT High-tech and the Second Industrial Revolution

The intense introduction of information technologies into corporations has been, more than anything else, for the purpose of saving labor and increasing efficiency, and for information sharing. It was wonderful seeing how these new technologies are being rapidly promoted at the same time to analyze management information and to carry out statistical analysis of the effectiveness of given business practices. I think a more detailed explanation of such technology is being taken up in another team member's report, so I will not write much about it. In northwestern England, where Manchester is the heart of Lancashire and Cheshire, it seemed to me that they were striving to bring about the second industrial revolution through I.T. high-tech goods and the development of financial software. In both homes and companies, the use of personal computers is growing rapidly. In splendid brick homes that are over 100 years old, without fail you will find personal computers in the studies with the latest electronic data processing technology. Everyone in the family is making use of these computer(s), and I felt that compared to Japanese households, the British are several years ahead of us when it comes to owning and utilizing personal computers in the home. However, there are many doubts about whether the British will, in the near future, actually carry out the circulation of the euro, which does not bear the image of the Queen.

Agriculture, Livestock Farming and Land

When it comes to the meals I was served at my homestays and at RC meetings, even considering that the British have long had a culture of livestock farming, it seemed to me that they are not so concerned about making their meals look beautiful, compared to the Japanese. I felt that there was quite a gap between British cuisine and the traditional Japanese approach of having five flavors in our meals, namely sweet, sour, bitter, spicy and salty. There is a tendency to place importance on amount rather than quality, and this goes for both men and women. And more than large amounts of potatoes and salad, they often wolf down large quantities of raw vegetables

Around Manchester, there are almost no mountains and the land is basically flat grassland and gently rolling hills. It looks like it would be ideal land for grazing sheep and cattle, but actually a large part of it is wild moorland, which is not good for farming or ranching because of the large number of rocks that are buried in the soil. It looks like they are blessed with a large abundance of grazing and farming land, but this is not so.

Great Britain has a total land area of 243,000 square km, which makes it appear to be quite small, especially when compared to Japan's 378,000 square km. But, if you take away all the area covered by mountains and lakes, etc. and look at the amount of land that can be used for daily life and industry, it come to 70% of the land, compared to Japan's meager 5%. In other words, Great Britain has ten times more useable land that Japan does. There are about 60 million people living in Great Britain, and 127 million in Japan, so if you consider the population ratio it's no wonder that land is so expensive in Japan (poor land policy aside). The average income comes to about $24,500 in Britain compared to $34,210 in Japan, but when you consider how much cost is added on to production costs and cost of living because of the exorbitant land prices in Japan, one can see in a glance that the British have a substantially better lifestyle than the Japanese. Japan's agricultural, industrial, and mining products will be caught in a price war with imports from all over the world, including the EC, and whether or not we will be able to overcome depends on the government's immigration policy and Japan's ability to maintain its labor force.

Labor Force Shortage and Racial Problems

Historically, England has been a racial melting pot, with the English, Welsh, Irish, and Scots living in regional and social harmony. However, because of the severe labor shortage following World War II, the government established an open-door policy toward immigrants from the West Indies, and there are signs of considerable racial friction and tension in Manchester, London and other large cities. It is a fact that these days, the physical labor force requirements of the larger cities can only be met by these lower class immigrant workers. The serious dilemma facing the British is whether or not the strongly xenophobic WASPS in England can live in harmony with the colored new British citizens.
But if you trace the lineage of the royal family, you will find that the blood of the people from many European nations flows in their veins, and (like in America) I don't think there is much need to worry about the increase in mixed blood.
One exception regarding immigrants is immigrants from India and Pakistan, many of whom are doctors, I.T. technicians, etc. and who are in the upper middle-class. There are quite a few Indian men involved in the RIBI in and around the larger cities, and it is no longer rare to see marriages between WASPs and those of Indian descent.

Southport District Conference

The annual District Conference was held this year on the west coast of Cheshire County in Southport. Our team was put up the entire time at the nearby Clifton Hotel, and every evening we were invited to banquets and parties. Our 20-minute presentation was scheduled for the morning of the last day, starting at 11:20.

I had heard that the total membership of the 46 clubs in the district is 1,368, but there were only 746 people registered at the conference (including the wives of members), so it appeared that at 30% of the members attended the conference with their wives. Governor Ian Tonge is a member of the Stockport Lamplighter club. Elect Chris Boyes is a member of Altrincham RC, the club which hosted our team. Manchester GSE Chair Simon Yates was the audio-visual mastermind and was very much involved in the conference, so our team did not want to do anything to ruin the conference. For that reason, we rehearsed very hard and diligently for our presentation.

Another thing that made us nervous was the fact that everyone in attendance was given an evaluation sheet, so we couldn't make any careless mistakes or cut corners in any way. The program went according to schedule on the last morning, with speeches by special guests and speakers commended by the governor. At 11:20, right on schedule, our team took the stage. After simple self-introductions by each member and short speeches about their vocational study themes, everyone quickly changed into happi coats and masks. The male team members wore red and blue devil masks and the girls wore masks of the god Ebisu as they performed a Noh play imitation. At the end, Ian Tonge and Simon Yates came on stage wearing happi coats too, and joined with us as we threw beans into the audience from the stage. The audience seemed to get into the performance, and cued beforehand by me, everyone yelled the Japanese incantation "Oni wa soto, fuku wa uchi" ("Out with the demons and in with good fortune."). We were very proud of our performance, and I think we were able to get full marks from the audience.

THE AGE CONCERN

In the center of Staylybridge, which is in the middle of Tameside in the western part of Greater Manchester, there is a facility for the elderly called The Age Concern. It was built several years ago with a 2 million pound grant from the government lottery revenues. The Age Concern, an NGO/NPO that is active throughout Great Britain, is a completely financially independent private organization. It is involved mainly in social work with the elderly (except for medical treatment), organizing entertainment and recreational activities for them, and helping them with whatever government paperwork, etc. that they need to deal with.

Tameside Age Concern entrance

Membership dues are 3 pounds annually, and anyone (male or female) 65 years old and over may join. It isn't an old age home, but is, rather, has the aim of improving the quality of life of the elderly. To achieve this, this organization helps organize exercise activities, entertainment, helps with health insurance matters, housework advice, legal advice, financial advice, helps with governmental paperwork and even helps people make funeral arrangements before they die. There are many volunteers and a few part-time paid workers working there, and it is possible for the elderly to go there for the entire day and even for short stays. They have their own limousine bus service and ambulances, as well, to pick members up at their home or take them to the hospital in emergencies. The way in which retired British Rotarians offer their services free of charge as operational managers, accountants, etc. is a good example for retired Rotarians here in Japan to follow.

THE NATIONAL TRUST         

When talking about the history and heritage of the lands of the British Empire, one organization that should not be overlooked is The National Trust. According to some information I received while in England, three idealists founded the organization in 1895 during the reign of Queen Victoria, and it is now the largest NGO/NPO working to preserve historical buildings and natural beauty in Great Britain.

At Chatsworth Garden

The National Trust is in charge of preserving and managing more than 1,000 old ruins, more than 200 historical buildings, 160 large-sized gardens, and 25 old factories, mines, etc. that commemorate the Industrial Revolution. In this regard, the National Trust manages 590,000 acres of land and 900 km of seacoast, which is home to some 71 types of rare birds, 14 types of indigenous bats, and 52 other types of birds. Most of the properties came into their possession as a result of the inheritance tax problems the former landowners or were bequeathed to the National Trust by those who were having trouble taking care of the properties. In addition, the National Trust receives countless endowments and receives annual dues of L32.50 from over 2 million people. There are more than 28,000 volunteer workers helping out at the various National Trust sites.

While we were in England, our homestay families guided us to a number of historical buildings and gardens. During our short stay, we were able to visit these six places:
DUNHAM MASSEY HALL & GARDEN (ALTRINCHAM RC)
LYME PARK & MANOR HOUSE (STOCKPORT RC)
CASTLETON PARK (ASHTON-UNDER-LYNE RC)
CHATSWORTH HOUSE & GARDEN (NORTHWICH VALE ROYAL RC)
LITTLE MORETON HALL (ALSAGER RC)
MOWCOP HILL & RUIN (SANDBACH RC)

Dunham Massey Hall was built in 1732 by the second Earl of Wellington in the early Tudor style. It was later inherited by his son-in-law, the fourth Earl of Stanford. Because he already owned a large estate in Staffordshire, he did nothing to keep up Dunham Massey Hall. The ninth Earl of Stanford refurbished the entire building in Edwardian style at the end of the 19th century and beginning of the 20th century. At the same time, he renovated the interiors of every room to give them a ceremonial feel. In 1976, the 10th Earl of Stanford bequeathed Dunham Massey Hall to The National Trust. As a result, books, paintings, furniture, etc. from the 17th and 18th centuries on and the vast garden became open to the public.

In Japan, under the administration of the Education and Science Ministry, a huge number of public technical officials supported by a huge budget are required to maintain the many national and quasi-national parks, but in England an NPO/NGO is able to handle it. I think the reason for this is the fact that in England there is a national consensus regarding the need to preserve and maintain their important heritage sites. On their days off and in their free time, many families go hiking together and visit these sites together, and their contributions do much to support the work of The National Trust.

There is another organization working to preserve historical sites and buildings, The British Heritage, but its focus and activities are completely different than The National Trust. It seems to me that they are concerned only with places older than the 15th century. I think it is quite something that these two organizations have been able to preserve these sites and buildings perfectly for future generations regardless of whether the government Labor or Conservative.

Little Moreton Hall

In closing, I will attach some data concerning the establishment dates of the clubs that hosted us, their membership, and chairmen's names. I will also include a list of all our homestay families. Thank you so much to everyone from all of the Japan GSE team members.

Rotary Clubs Visited and Chairmen's Names

The clubs visited by the entire GSE team (* = GSE presentation given) 
* ALTRINCHAM RC: established 1929(41 members)
 President:RTN. ROGER BARLOW
* MANCHESTER EXCHANGE RC: established 1960(16 members)
 President:RTN. PAUL BREARLEY
 MANCHESTER BREAKFAST RC: established 1992(17 members)
 President:RTN. JOHN CROSDALE
* STOCKPORT RC: established 1925(34 members)
 President:RTN. ROGER SCOONES
 STOCKPORT LAMPLIGHTER RC: established 1984(41 members)
 President:RTN. JOHN YEOMANS
* HYDE RC: established 1937(25 members)
 President:RTN. ANDREW WILLIAMS
 ASHTON-UNDER-LYNE RC: established 1934(33 members)
 President:RTN. GEOFFREY HIGGINS
* NORTHWICH VALE ROYAL RC: established 1990(29 members)
 President:RTN. JOHN ATKINS
NORTHWICH RC: established 1923(37 members)
 President:RTN. DOUGLAS SAVILL
* ALSAGER RC: established 1974(35 members)
 President:RTN. DAVID BLACK
* HASLINGTON RC: established 2001(31 members)
 President:RTN. ALASTAIR BAIN
* CREWE RC: established 1932(34 members)
 President:RTN. TUDOR JONES
 NANTWICH RC: established 1923(54 members)
 President:RTN. JOHN BROOKSHAW
※Breakfast meetings attended by Team Leader Nakanishi only
  SANDBACH RC: established 1945 (35 members)
 President:RTN. JOHN LEIGH
WINSFORD & MIDDLEWICH RC: established 1948(27 members)
 President:RTN. COLLIN COOK
※Club in which only the club chairman and director attended the breakfast meeting
  MANCHESTER RC: established 1913(54 members)
 President:RTN. GEORGE ALMOND
Homestay Families
* ALTRINCHAM RC:
  09/13~09/18 Roger & Kates Barlow: Kazuya Nakanishi
09/13~09/18 Roy & Eileen Worthington: Shigekazu Koike
09/13~09/18 Ken & Polly Garrity: Kiyoshige Okada
09/13~09/18 John & Anne Edwards: Yumi Sano
09/13~09/18 Chris & Pam Boyes: Madoka Daigo
* STOCKPORT RC:
09/18~09/22 Brian & Anthea Lightowler: Kazuya Nakanishi
09/18~09/22 Ann & John Allen: Shigekazu Koike & Kiyoshige Okada
09/18~09/22 Gill & Gordon Parkin: Yumi Sano & Madoka Daigo