My Visit to England's D-1050

Tomomi Sano

Staff of Osaka City Economic Bureau
Sponsored by the Osaka-Chayamachi Rotary Club

Introduction

I recently visited R.I.D-1050 in England as a member of the GSE team under the sponsorship of the Osaka-Chayamachi R.C. I experienced many things in England that will certainly be valuable to me not only in my work, but in my personal life and in the way I think about things. I am thankful to everyone who played a part in supporting me in this program.

D-1050

R.I.D-1050 consists of the southern part of Great Manchester, and Cheshire County to the south and the northern part of Stock-on-Trent. The city of Manchester is one part of Great Manchester (Greater Manchester is made up of Manchester and 9 boroughs. In general, most Japanese have a vague notion that the region called Manchester is made up of all of Greater Manchester

When we hear of Manchester the first thing we usually think of is the fact that Manchester was the origin or heartland of the Industrial Revolution. Until I visited there, I had envisioned Manchester as bristling with textile plants and other factories, but today, textile plants make up less than 1% of the industry in Manchester. These days, Manchester serves as a major center of the service industry, and downtown Manchester has been transformed into a commercial center with its streets lined with modern buildings. Still, there are some building still preserved that are several hundred years old, such as churches and homes, and the combination of very old and very new makes Manchester a city with a varied atmosphere. This photo shows an old, 19th century railway station, which has been renovated and converted into an international trade fair center.

Today, Manchester is England's second largest city, and it is bustling with activity day and night. However, just ten minutes outside Manchester by car one can find rolling meadows and pasturelands covered with sheep and cows and many farms. Looking at all the sheep and cows, it was hard for me to imagine that just about one year ago, 90% of the livestock had been destroyed due to an outbreak of hoof and mouth disease.

Cheshire County is filled with dairy farms and is famous for its cheeses. There were over 100 kinds of cheese on sale at the supermarket, and in England many people have cheese at the end of their meal instead of dessert. Cheshire cheese has won first prize a number of times in the English Cheese Fair.
However, just as in Japan, the agriculture industry in England is on the decline, and one of the social problems the British are dealing with is how to preserve this industry. Also, the traditional industry in Stock-on-Trent, ceramics and china (world-famous brands like Royal Dalton and Wedgewood) is also suffering from poor sales and low demand.

My Homestay Families and D-1050 Rotary Clubs

While in England, I had the privilege of staying with six different families and could experience daily life in England. All my host families were very warm and kind, and I am so very thankful to them.
We imagine that the British like to drink tea and eat scones, and to be sure, one of my homestay families drank a different type of tea every two hours and I was able to enjoy a very traditional family atmosphere. However, in recent years, more and more people are drinking coffee instead of tea at breakfast and teatime. Unlike Japan, where we usually make drip coffee, the British put ground coffee beans directly into their teapots just like they do their tea.

Because we were visiting Manchester, I had thought that there would be many fans of David Beckham's Manchster United, but to my surprise I was wrong. In Manchester, there is another team in the premiere league besides Manchester United, namely Manchester City. There are also other leagues, so altogether, there are quite a few teams in the Manchester region, and everyone is eagerly supporting their team or teams. Many of the British start supporting a team in their childhood, and I realized that I couldn't just talk about Manchester United while in Manchester.

At Manchester United's Trafford Pitch

Also, we were often taken to pubs by the Rotarians we met. Pubs are places where people drink beer and whiskey, but in recent years they have begun to serve meals as well as drinks at more and more pubs. The pubs are usually named after some famous person or object associated with that locale, such as the pub "Wellington" (named for the military commander who defeated Napolean), where I was taken. In addition to people and objects, many pubs are also named after animals and birds, since hunting is a popular sport in the region.

When premiere league or European Cup matches were being played, I would see many people gathered around the TV with a mug of beer at the pubs.

In the evenings, we attended Rotary Club meetings. Our GSE team members each gave our self-introductions and then talked about the economy, history, famous things and sights in Osaka. People were very interested to see the photos of takoyaki (baked octopus balls) and the rush-hour trains packed with people. 

A welcome party for our GSE team

Giving my GSE presentation

British English

We Japanese are much more used to American English than British English, I realized. Here are just a few examples of the differences between the two.

American English British English
soccer football
trunk (of a car) boot
pants trousers
gasoline petrol

The British are proud of their English language, and they believe that their English is true English. When I used American English, I was often corrected, "That English is wrong." Even now, it seemed to me, people in England still have pride in their deep down inside for the Great British Empire.

British Homes

In D-1050, where we visited, I noticed that land prices tended to be higher in the suburbs compared to downtown Manchester (this is the opposite of what we experience in Japan). This stems from the fact that during the Industrial Revolution, the air pollution was so bad in the city that the wealthy people moved out into the suburbs because of the fresh air. Even today, there are some places in the city that are 100 times less expensive than land in the suburbs, and this is one reason that slums in the cities have become a social problem. One approach to improving the situation is that local groups are buying up residences in the city, renovating them, turning them into public housing, and offering them for sale as quality housing. In this way, they are attempting to revitalize the inner city.

Also, another difference between England and Japan is that the British prefer to have old homes. They love old, brick homes that were built in the 19th and 20th centuries because they can feel the history and warmth of these dwellings. They buy them and carefully renovate the exterior and interior.

Recently, sunrooms (see photo) have become extremely popular, and I noticed quite a few advertisements in the newspaper for sunrooms. Because this region is quite cold in the winter, people enjoy sitting in their sunrooms and soaking up the sun while looking at their gardens or eating their meals.

British Industry

I am presently working for the Osaka City Economic Bureau. In Osaka, small and medium-size businesses have been suffering through a prolonged business slump. While in England, I was able to study the strategies actively being employed there to help promote industrial growth.

Benefits of doing business in Manchester
Manchester is the second largest city in England, behind London, and it offers the following benefits to those who do business there.
・ an abundant labor force (There are over 7 million people living within a 30 mile radius of downtown Manchester, and 65% of them are less than 45 years old.)
・ an excellent transportation network
・ the Manchester International Airport
The airport has two runways and serves not only the major cities of Europe, but also all major cities of America and many other countries. More than 40 million people pass through the airport annually. Also, the airport is linked to all the major cities in England by an extensive highway system, so it is easily accessed.
・four top level universities that are working in collaboration with industry to contribute to economic growth
・low wages and land prices compared to London
Manchester is aggressively making efforts to attract businesses (both domestic and from overseas) to the region by emphasizing these benefits, and it is, for the most part, utilizing autonomous bodies to do so.

Midas

One such autonomous body is Midas, an extra-governmental organization affiliated with the Manchester Chamber of Commerce. Midas is very actively working to attract businesses from within England and without to set up business in Manchester. Also, it is offering varied support to successful businesses operating in Manchester so that they can expand their business activities domestically and internationally.

Strategies for Attracting New Businesses
In addition to Midas, I was able to visit the Manchester City Hall and Chamber of Commerce while I was in England. They were working together with Midas in the southern part of Greater Manchester to attract businesses to Manchester. Also, in other areas, they are actively working with not just autonomous bodies, but also with private companies (on a consignment basis) to invite companies to Manchester.

In England, the most common way of attracting businesses is for autonomous bodies and private companies to purchase empty plots of land or unused properties and then offer them at bargain prices to businesses considering setting up shop in the area. In Osaka, the main approach is offering subsidies to companies. In England, they usually erect buildings on a property and rent it, or sell the land or buildings to companies. They also purchase empty schools, flour mills, and other old buildings and, after renovating them, rent them to businesses. This approach resembles what was done with the old waterworks building in Osaka.

Because various autonomous bodies are working hard to attract new business to their areas, the competition between these organizations can become quite intense. They are prepared to quickly offer a variety of perks to prospective businesses, and those perks involve both physical properties and non-material benefits and incentives. For example, in the Manchester region, many companies that are considering the establishment of new stores or factories are interested in moving in as quickly as possible and starting business, so to accommodate these desires, they have prepared a wide variety of offices to make it easier. For example, they offer everything from office space with absolutely nothing but empty rooms, to offices completely furnished with desks and chairs, personal computers and OA equipment, etc. The size of the offices varies from single-person offices to those able to accommodate from 5 to 60 employees, depending on the desires of the prospective companies.

Also, in England (as in Japan), they value the proverb "A rolling stone gathers no moss." In other words, changing one's office location several times gives the impression of instability. So, in the same building, they will provide offices of varying sizes so that a company that starts out small and succeeds can move up in office size within the same building complex. This means their address and phone number(s) will not change, even though they move their office. This makes it easier for them to attract new companies.

Moreover, they are not only providing office space. At the same time, they also construct buildings that can serve as warehouses and factory buildings. For example, buildings that could accommodate a large-scale supermarket that wants to rent a lot of land for a distribution center, or a pharmaceutical manufacturer who is looking for a place for a pharmaceutical plant. In this way, they are making use of innovative and advantageous approaches to help attract businesses.

One of the greatest requirements of new businesses is being located within one mile of a highway interchange. Since cars are the most common means of transportation in England, this is a vital requirement, not only from the standpoint of product distribution, etc. but also because most of their employees will come to work by car. For this reason, some autonomous bodies apply for financial assistance from the European Fund and use it to pay for the construction of an interchange near their building sites.

Naturally, the organizations also offer a variety of free support services related to operating a business. For example, consulting services, business matching services for companies seeking to expand operations.
In some cases for very large businesses, they will offer cheap rent or land leasing in exchange for a promise from the company that they will employee a given percentage of the area's labor force. The aim is to help provide employment opportunities for the region's people since they are using the people's taxes to help attract new businesses.

Making it quick and easy for new business ventures
Most of the negotiations associated with new business start-ups take place over the Internet. The autonomous bodies place information related to rental or purchase of land and buildings on their homepage or in magazines, making it easy for prospective businesses to gather the information they need. It is also possible for such companies to apply for the rental or purchase of facilities and land over the Internet.

The autonomous bodies offer a number of potential sites based on the information provided by prospective companies, and the companies choose the site they prefer from among those. By utilizing the Internet in this way, companies that are far away are able to contract for land or buildings without having to send someone to the region to search for prospective sites. In some cases, it is even possible for a company to select a place and close the contract in the same day.

This way of thinking about attracting new businesses has arisen from the idea that these public officials and private enterprises are both service-providing organizations. While in England, I realized that I want to bring this spirit, this way of thinking and acting like a service industry back to Japan.

In Conclusion

While I was in England, I was able to meet very many people. Even though we speak different languages, the most important thing is the heart. I realized that even if our words are not understood adequately, it is possible for us to communicate with heart language. This was a trip during which I was able to feel the warmth of those I met.

In front of the Liverpool Beatles Memorial

Also, I think we Japanese can learn quite a lot from the British spirit of learning lessons from the past and valuing the old while actively adopting new things.

Lastly, I would like to take this opportunity to express my gratitude to everyone in D-2660 and D-1050 who helped in the GSE program, all those who cooperated in my vocational study at Manchester City Hall and the Chamber of Commerce. I would also like to thank everyone at the Osaka City Economic Bureau who allowed me to take 5 weeks off from work, and my GSE team leader and team members, who helped me from start to finish (I wonder if I could have had such an enjoyable time if I had had different team members!).

With the Rotarians who saw me off at the Manchester International Airport