GSE Report

Yoshikazu Satow

Team Leader, Member of Osaka-Otemae R.C.
Director, The Center of Propellant Research for Lifelong Learning

Introduction

I served as the team leader for our GSE trip to Milwaukee, Wisconsin in the United States of America, where we were very warmly and hospitably received. During my one month there, I kept a daily, detailed diary. That diary consists of about 100,000 characters. I gave a copy of this diary to the Governor of D-2660, those associated with the Rotary and those who know me well. Now, I have just a few copies left.

I do not intend to reproduce that vast volume here on these pages. Instead, in this report, I would like to share some of the thoughts I had during my time in Wisconsin.

The D-6270 District Conference was held over a three-day period near Lake Geneva at the Hotel Grand Geneva.

With R.I. D-6270 Governor, Jack Berry (second from the left)

Before the morning, afternoon and evening sessions of the district conference, the participants ate breakfast, lunch and dinner together in groups of three to five people. When the meal was finished, the opening of the session was announced. The sessions started with the singing of the national anthem as we looked at the flag, and immediately after that, there was a group prayer. What impressed me deeply was the attitude everyone had toward the flag and the singing of the national anthem. I saw a reverent loyalty manifested there. I was also impressed by the prayer time, because the prayer was so heartfelt. It was the same at all ten of the Rotary Clubs we visited.

In Japan, Rotary meetings are ceremonial. In some ways, the meetings and district conferences are run in very orderly manner, but there is no custom of offering reverent prayer to God. It really made me think.

I felt the strength of America and the fact that the Rotaryユs service and volunteer work so naturally melds with American society. I realized that it is in these things that the Rotaryユs ideology and fundamental attitude lie.

Next, I would like to describe the district conference. The conference was bright and friendly, and not at all formal (what I mean here by formal is surface formality that has no real substance to it). More than being ceremonial, it felt like the people understood each other and were of one accord, and they were preparing themselves to mobilize and move ahead into the next step of whatever it was they were planning to do.

The basics were very clear. The ideology was clearly articulated. Everything was carried out as it should have been and was quite practical. Each person had a conscious goal, the administration was good and so was the content.

There were no arrogant people or anyone bringing up old-fashioned ideas to be seen anywhere. Everyone cooperated with one another while allowing their intrinsic personality and individual character to show.

The Rotary is a volunteer service organization, an organization that communicates carefully and cooperates with others. I learned from experience that it is a group of people who understand how to live life.

As I wrote earlier regarding what the district conference was like, regular Rotary meetings also begin with a meal, and those meals were always buffet style. There were no waiters or waitresses waiting on us. As soon as the meal is finished and the meeting opens, everyoneユs attitude changes instantly and they become formal. There were some clubs that rang a bell at the start of the meeting, but I donユt remember there being a lot of those that did so.

People did not interfere with one another any more than was necessary, but were kind and considerate without being pushy. Everyone was modest and humble. This might have had something to do with the fact that many of them are descended from European immigrants. Anyway, the people were quite modest, and they devote themselves to treating people with hospitality from the bottom of their hearts.

Primarily, the Japanese are kind people. We can understand this by reading the writings of foreigners who visited Japan at the end of the Edo period and beginning of the Meiji period. They wrote of the considerateness and kindness shown to travelers,

Even today, it might be said that the Japanese are still the same. But, I think we Japanese have much to learn from the Europeans and Chinese in regard to their attitude towards international understanding and international relations. I say this because there are situations in which I see that Japanese do not have much of a sense of communication and there has been a decline in the internationalism of the Japanese.

I was made aware of the fact that, as far as the Rotary is concerned, this is something that is not allowed in the least.

I saw something else that made me think at the district conference, and that was how they nurture the next generation of Rotarians. It was the second day of the conference at the evening meeting. Some of the young people who were participating in the Rotaryユs international exchange student program took part in the meeting by providing some entertainment. This surely was a beneficial and profitable interaction.

And that wasnユt all. On the morning of the third day, before people were dismissed and went home, it was the young people who took the initiative in all the programs. From the commencement of the final session, the prayer music and choral piece, to the District governorユs speech and the speech of R.I. Presidentユs Representative, all of the closing ceremony was carried out by local high school students and the children of Rotary members. I understood very well how they were going about raising up the next generation of Rotarians. Whenever we had welcome parties or farewell parties, they were very modest. The clubs didnユt rent a room at a large hotel, but, as much as possible, they held warmer, more personal and friendly parties. In Oshkosh, the reception party was held in one of the larger rooms of a certain club. Each of the GSE team members received a memento, and it was announced by the mayor of Oshkosh (a Rotarian) that May 17 would be "International Cultural Exchange Day Between Osaka and Oshkosh."

Our farewell party was held at one of our host familyユs homes, which had a five-acre yard. The American GSE team members and host families held this party for us, which was a picnic and barbecue party. It was a very casual affair.

What surprised me very much was that no matter what host club or other club we visited, the local judges, mayors and city council members were Rotarians. I think that in America, the Rotary is one or two steps ahead of Japan when it comes to working to improve the lifestyle of citizens in the region. The Rotary is not just a service organization, and it is not just an administrative organization. It is a cooperative system in which government officials, experts, scholars, and people of goodwill work to create an effective organization that serves the community. This may be related to the fact that America is a nation built on the strength of its citizens, who have come from many different countries and cultures.

Or, it may be that here in Japan, there is still some pride, some elitism associated with being a Rotarian. I think there is a need for the Rotary in Japan to get more government officials and people in legal circles (not just lawyers) to become involved with the Rotary.

Our GSE team with the mayor of Milwaukee

In this regard, I'd better think the fact that there are Osaka Prefectural government people and Osaka City government people taking part in the GSE programs is a stepping stone to the future, but at this point in time, I donユt get the feeling that the fruitfulness of the GSE program will be fully utilized by our local government people. In Japan, I think we still lack the generosity and tolerance needed for this.

Next, I would like to mention the clothing worn at the district conference and regular Rotary meetings. The clothing seemed メalive.モ The Rotary dress code is something that should be freer (less formal) in Japan, where the only time Rotarians wear more casual clothing is in the hot, humid days of summer. Formal wear, while giving a nice, clean appearance, makes some people feel tense or nervous, I think, and this is not conducive to relating on a heart-to-heart level with people or to thinking about and making progress toward achieving common volunteer activity goals. In America, they wore everyday clothes and casual clothes to their meetings, and it had an impact on the atmosphere of the meetings.

I think the same can be said of the Rotary badges. Some clubs had lapel pins that had a diameter of one cm or more, but others didnユt have any lapel pins at all. Whether they wore Rotary lapel pins or not, everyone had a clear awareness of the fact that they were Rotarians.

Now, I would like to comment on Rotary donations. In one region, there were three Rotary clubs working together, with the support of their citizens, to construct and operate a facility to teach the arts. Of course, it is a public building. There, they teach things that are not normally taught in schools. It is open to the public, and people can hold music recitals, ballet performances, and other things there.

The construction and operating costs are being paid for by donations from the three Rotary clubs and from the local citizens.

Some Rotary clubs are actively involved in school education and are working to help develop educational programs by collecting donations. For example, collecting money so that a fund will be started to pay for additional laboratory for a school to help promote science education, or to help pay for the purchase of equipment, etc. In addition, some clubs collect money to help build playgrounds (or purchase playground equipment) for nursery schools and kindergartens.

I saw a number of parks while in Wisconsin. Rotary parks. They served as places of amusement for children and places where the local citizens could go to relax. I felt they were very friendly and peaceful places. All the donations received by the Rotarians went to fund public institutions or public places.

Our Osaka Otemae Rotary Club has had an ongoing donation collection program for the Osaka Prefectural School and Hospital for Physically Disabled Children, but the collection method is different. If a public institution or facility were to receive donations from the Rotary or citizens and then try to use that money effectively, there would possibly be a need to change the Japanese tax system if the money were to be used as it is in America. While in Wisconsin, we visited some schools and a nursery school and another school that use both Spanish and English in their lessons. The American Rotary clubs are practicing a serious donation effort for such schools and public parks, etc. In this way, they are becoming a part of the daily lives of American citizens, and I felt keenly that their Rotary clubs are a vital, living part of the citizens' lives.

I thought that the "support but no control" spirit was alive and well in America. In America, people are familiar with and are supportive of the Rotary and its activities.

All of my host families were very kind and caring. They all thought about how they could make the time enjoyable for their guest and how they could help us experience a relaxing and moving time before we left for Japan. I am not a heavy smoker, but my host families provided a place for me to smoke while I was there.

However, I also noticed that there were times when the team members relied too much on the kindness of the host families, which was unfortunate. We had made our hopes and wishes known in advance to our GSE committee chairman and then put it all in writing, translated it into English and sent it to Wisconsin to the D-6270 GSE chairman. Each of the host clubs took our requests into account and made plans and arrangements for us. However, at times, I felt that we requested more of the host clubs than they had actually planned to do for us. I think this is something we need to reflect upon.   

I heard this from GSE Chairman Nomura, after we returned to Japan, that D-6270 GSE team leader Erik Moeser said, "The team leader who came to America showed that he was a Japanese." After hearing that evaluation, I was pleased and satisfied.

The key to international understanding is being able to explain 120% about oneユs native country, and one needs to be able to prove these explanations by his/her words and actions, I think. I say this because I have had the bitter experience of not knowing enough about Japan, and consequently not being able to truly understand another country.

Because I thought this way, I took along Japanese clothing (which I wore in America from time to time), and Because I thought this way, I took along Japanese clothing (which I wore in America from time to time), and used Japanese at the start of our presentations in explaining about Osaka Cityユs history and culture. Of course, while I was in Japan, I translated my speech into English, and with the help of an American who is living in Japan, polished it up before leaving for the USA. At the district conference, I handed a copy of the English to D-6270 GSE team leader Erik Moeser. Then I read it to him in Japanese one phrase at a time while he read along in English.

When we were asked to visit other Rotary clubs to give our presentations, I did the same thing. The D-6270 GSE chairman, Patrick Lyddane, complimented me deeply for doing this.

With R.I. D-6270 GSE Chairman Pat Lyddane

I also took some colored paper along with me and wrote some of the tanka poetry, etc. that I had composed myself on it to give to my host families. At club meetings and other gatherings, I performed Japanese songs (sailing songs and other old songs). Of course, I also talked about Japanese and Asian history, culture, art, lifestyle and religion. I didnユt stop there, though. I also had the opportunity to talk with people about overseas travel, European music and art, etc. about which we have common understanding.

In this way, I was able to show and explain about Japanese values and about the Japanese character and cultural background. But, Japanese must not forget internationally accepted manners, such as greetings and dinner manners.

Moreover, it is vital that we cook typical Japanese meals for our host families and prepare a real feast for them. Granted, it may be impossible to find all the necessary ingredients overseas, but I think we should strive to show our eagerness to make something for them. I donユt think there is anyone who will get angry eating a delicious meal.

Most of my trips are taken alone. This time, I traveled with four men and women who had the same purpose in going overseas, and I did my utmost to back them up by giving them detailed instructions and warning them to do as I said from time to time. But, I wanted to be like the proverbial monkeys and メsee no evil, hear no evil and speak no evilモ during our time in the States, and kind of let them all do as they wished. Well, anyway, I was able to do it without much stress.
In Japan, I am always so busy with many different things. On this GSE trip, I was able to sit down and enjoy reading the English newspaper without having to make phone calls and without spending time watching the news, movies and TV dramas. Instead, I had time to look inward and meditate and contemplate, for which I am very thankful.

I would like to end my report by saying that I am very grateful for having the opportunity to serve as GSE team leader for D-2660 from 2001 through 2002.

Yoshikazu Satoh
June, 2002