Diane M. Carroll

(Chemical engineer)

On April 23, Rotary District 7690 G.S.E. team returned to America from a very fruitful and meaningful stay with our hosts from district 2660, Osaka, Japan. It seemed strange to step off our 2nd flight in Chicago; there we were, back in America, with no Rotarians present to greet us. Again we realized, what a special and truly fascinating journey we had just completed.

My experience in Japan will impact my life for years to come. To be accepted and participate in modern Japanese society and to understand and witness the ancient cultures of Japan was the experience of a lifetime, and I view my G.S.E. participation as such.

I enjoyed the true purpose of G.S.E.: International Mutual Understanding with many Rotarians and host families. Our team had the good fortune to meet and become friends with the district 2660 G.S.E. team that visited North Carolina in 1991. I regret that we were not able to assist with their program last year, as at that time the 92 G.S.E. team from our district had not yet been selected, Shigeo, Mire, Keizo, Yoyo, Keiichi, and Tetsu made us feel most welcome in Osaka.

Seeing and experiencing Japanese culture first hand was of great benefit to me during our stay. This was my second trip to Japan; in 1988 I visited Odawara, Japan on a business assignment. Although I enjoyed both stays, it was very obvious to me that my G.S.E. trip was a much greater learning experience. It is difficult for Americans to understand Japanese people are very close to their 2000 year old history. Their society is full of advanced technology and contemporary urban life, yet at the same time preserved stately monuments act as a constant reminder of a rich, cultural past.

Japanese people generally possess a very polite, quiet nature which I found very charming. Their society is extremely condensed (over 7 million people in Osaka prefecture) yet their daily life-style appears quite harmonious. I saw no conflicts in even the most crowded areas. Most people commute to their schools or businesses by train or subway. Every time I had the opportunity to ride in the trains, I enjoyed watching people, with their neatly appointed uniforms or business cloths and their impeccable manners. Osaka is a very large city, yet we felt a sense of safety which would be unequaled in an American city of that size.

I was amazed at how much Japanese young people admire Westerners. Many times they would approach us, speaking English, to greet and welcome us to Japan. This extra welcome added even more to the overwhelming sense of fellowship displayed by every Rotarian that we met.

We were fortunate to visit Japan in the spring-time. I learned that this was a very special season to the Japanese people. The cherry blossom were a magnificent sight. Companies schedule holidays and people come by the thousands to view the blossoms during their peak, which lasts only a few short days. I suppose that is one reason why "sakura," or cherry blossom, is so clear to the Japanese: Its natural beauty is very vibrant yet short lived.

Our Rotary hosts scheduled many interesting outings which we enjoyed very much. Our itinerary included a blend of traditional Japanese culture and modern urban attractions. Sight-seeing tours were conducted in Kyoto, Nara (both former capitols of Japan), the atomic bomb site at Hiroshima, and several sections of Osaka. We visited many temples and shrines, historical remains, a traditional Japanese swordsmith, and Osaka Castle. It was so evident that the past of Japan is richly preserved and visible in the urban Japan of today. We were invited to participate in a tree planting ceremony in Osaka's 90 Expo Park. Since Japanese people admire all types of trees and flowers, this was a very special event. We planted 6 dogwood trees, the state flower of North Carolina, and a permanent plaque with our names was unveiled to our surprise.

I was fortunate to attend several tea ceremonies and see many Japanese flower arrangements. These special traditions are very popular in Japan; in fact it is common for women to take lessons for more than a year before they perform these rituals for guests. It was also interesting to see a few women wearing kimonos as everyday clothing. It was yet another reminder of Japan's culture during daily activities.

Our itinerary was carefully planned to also include important themes for contemporary times. We visited Osaka Water Works, Morinomiya garbage burning facility, Kansai Electric Nuclear Power Plant, a TV and Radio broadcasting station, and Kinki Rolling Stock train manufacturer to name a few. All of these industries play an important role in modern Japanese life. I also had the opportunity to visit several manufacturing facilities including Daihatsu car factory, Panasonic TV factory, Konica's photo-processing laboratory, a specialty spring manufacturer, a high tech ceramics manufacturer, Imada furniture factory, and Asahi beer brewery.

Perhaps one of my most memorable experiences in Japan was 5 outstanding homestays. I was amazed at how each and every family opened their homes and hearts to me. My stays ranged in length from 3 to 6 days, and although my time was limited with each family, every experience was a very special and unique one. The homestay experience allowed me to have lengthy individual conversations with my hosts. The topics ranged from American and Japanese cuisine to the '92 American Presidential Campaign. This important feature of G.S.E. allowed me to become friends with my hosts, all of whom I intend to stay in contact with. This type of friendship would not have been possible with only daytime activity contact which we experienced with numerous Rotarians. I was very comfortable living "Japanese style." I usually stayed in the traditional Japanese room in each home. These rooms have tatami (straw) mats for flooring, traditional Japanese wall hanging, and in some cases small shrines. I slept on futons, mattresses that are stored in a closet during the day and made into a comfortable beds at night. Twice I was treated to visit at Japanese bath houses. These separate bathing areas for men and women offer a variety of relaxing baths, saunas, and whirlpools. I also had the pleasure of golfing 3 times during my stay. The golf courses were so beautiful that its easy to understand why so many Japanese people love this sport! It's unfortunate that the cost is so high to play ($200 per round), it made me realize how fortunate we are in America to have such an amenity at a reasonable cost. Many things that middle class Americans take for granted are unavailable to middle class Japanese. Home ownership is very costly in Osaka compared to North Carolina (approximately 10 times the cost!). Driving and owning an automobile are also very expensive. Another example is the high cost of red meat: it is approximately 2 to 3 times higher in Japan than in America.

Japanese home life is (surprisingly!) similar to American home life. My hosts were very family oriented; they shared dinners together, celebrated personal accomplishments together, and discussed local, national and world news together. One of my host families was Catholic and attended Mass regularly. I am Catholic also and was quite amazed to find practicing Catholics in Osaka (though they are very small percentage). Catholic schools are becoming more popular there, from elementary through college level. Most children that attend these schools are not necessarily raised as Catholics, but learn about Christianity through religion classes at school. When they are adults they decide to either remain a traditional Japanese religion (Buddhism or Shintoism) or become Christian.

Our departure from Japan was as much a memorable occasion as all the great activities we experienced during our 5 weeks there. A large group of Rotarians came to see us off and wish well for our journey and futures. I know that I will probably never see some of them again, yet each and every one of them has, or will continue to impact my life. During this trip, I not only learned about Japan and Japanese people, I learned a lot about myself, my attitudes and outlooks on life, and my general way of thinking. My mission is to communicate with others about my experiences in Japan. A healthy relationship between the United States and Japan is critical for global harmony. Americans and Japanese, particularly those in leadership roles (not just political, but business and technical also), must attempt to gain more knowledge about each other. I intend to do all I can to contribute in educating my friends and colleagues about mutual understanding with Japan.