GSE---Experiencing Daily Life in a Different Culture

Keizo Mizomoto

(team member: Senior bellman at Hilton Hotel Osaka)

I first learned about this Group Study Exchange program from the boss at work, whereupon I received a recommendation and applied for the program. Prior to applying for this program, I had had little knowledge of the R.I. and the Rotary Foundation. I was only aware that the Rotary carried out humanitarian service activities and contributed to the establishment of world peace, but did not even know the type these activities they performed. The screening procedure consisted of an oral examination by an American and an interview with G.S.E. Committee members, both on the same day. Following this, there were G.S.E. Committee meetings. The overnight G.S.E. outing which purpose was to deepen mutual understanding among group members proved especially meaningful. To prepare myself, I read books introducing Japanese culture written both in Japanese and English. and I gathered materials related to Osaka. Materials I received when I attended the G.S.E. Committee explaining North Carolina's culture, geography, climate, and industry were most helpful. Comments from conversation teachers from North Carolina during an intensive language course at Berlitz were also quite helpful. The contents of the itinerary I received from District 769 before departure was particularly useful. In addition to the itinerary, it included pertinent information regarding postal and telephone charges and times from the U.S. to Japan.

Thanks to this Rotary Club program, I was able to visit many of North Carolina's public institutions, facilities, industries, plants, and schools, to acquire experiences simply unimaginable had I traveled privately. I was also able to attend local Rotary Club lunch gatherings from time to time. And I was deeply impressed to see Rotarians doing volunteer work carrying medical equipment in a hospital.

I feel fortunate that I was able to share everyday life with American host families. All the host families were so warm and considerate in handling communications by performing such kind favors as informing the subsequent host family about my health and food preferences. Not only the host families, though, but everyone I met in North Carolina was exceptionally friendly and thoughtful. Each host family cared so much for my feelings of privacy that they went so far as to prepare my own room and as well as a bathroom. And yet I was not treated as a guest, but rather, as a member of the family. My only regret is that the time was too short. We simply could not spend enough time together getting to know each other and exchange information on each other's culture.

I also appreciated the fact that the host families ushered me around by car. Since public transportation is not developed in North Carolina, I could have gone nowhere without their help. They took me anywhere and everywhere without any reservation, and for this I am most thankful.

We visited America at war in the Middle East. The war was over soon after we arrived. It made us realize the importance of world peace. I truly understood that regardless of the difference in skin color, language, culture, customs, and history, we are all of the same humanity, that we all pursue the same love of peace and love of family. I believe that Americans, too, feel the same way.

The most precious experience I reaped through this program was simply the chance to meet Americans. And in particular, the host families, those wonderful folks who said, "You are a new member of our family." I want this friendship to endure. And I would be very happy to help out the people who will participate in this very special program in the future by sharing my experience.