GSE Vocational Study -----Paying Attention to Details

Tetsuji Tanigawa

(team member: assistant manager of Kobeya restaurant)

When our G.S.E. team visited North Carolina, the Gulf War was drawing to a conclusion and Japan was under fire worldwide to play a role in the war. That was the end of February and the feeling in the air was fairly tense. I had naturally expected that Americans would hold a very poor opinion of Japanese. However, perhaps out of concern for our feelings, upon our arrival to North Carolina, the District G.S.E. subcommittee members and our host families did absolutely nothing that would encourage us to feel that such anti-Japanese feelings existed. Still, seeing the news of the Gulf War on T.V. everyday and the yellow ribbons at residential houses (signifying that members of these households had been sent to the Middle East and that families were praying for their safe return), often intensified our sense of uneasiness.

We learned of the war's end during a party l week after arrival in the U.S.. The elation everyone felt at this news is still a fresh memory.

Frankly speaking, Prior to going to North Carolina on the G.S.E., I anticipated seeing some negative facets of American daily life. I had an idea that the United States was filled with merchandises made in Japan, and that Japan has caught up and perhaps surpassed the United States during the rapid economical growth since the World War II. As I arrived at America and talked with people, I found that there was a great gap between my idea and the reality. One of the most memorable experiences was that, through the G.S.E., I could talk with the top level people at each enterprise or business we visited and participate in conversations on a wide variety of topics. In particular, the executives of each enterprise set time aside to explain to us as a group, or occasionally, even just to me alone, their company policies and strategies. We had a rare opportunity of seeing companies and plants from the inside.

Sometimes, they even went so far as to show us some documents that may have been their trade secrets. As I often hear it said, it seemed to me that the average corporate performance in Japan seem to surpass America in every way. However, the matter becomes completely different when we talk about the best performance in each field. If there was such a thing as a corporate Olympics, western nations may be among the top performers in most cases. In other words, my impression is that America is a country in which differences between the finest and the next best are clearly discernible. In general, Americans tend to be thought of as people who are not so particular about minute details, In fact, America probably excels in technology to manufacture first class goods, in the fields requiring enormous attention to detail. Some have recently said that we have nothing more to learn from America. I can't agree. It is not difficult to extend your ability to some degree in any single area. The real art lies in going beyond this stage and truly mastering the field. I believe that the best performers in America have reached this art.

Everyone probably accepts that Japan excels in copying technologies but falls behind America and Europe in creativeness. Why is this so? Is there a difference in the characteristics of Japanese and Americans? Or can this be explained by differences in way of thinking and customs? I believe the latter to be true. The first grade merchandise is born from the creativity nurtured by flexible way of thinking and custom. These factors in mind, it was extremely beneficial for me to learn American customs and their way of thinking through observing their society during this homestay program.

Looking back American homes and customs during the 5 weeks of homestays, I cannot help being impressed with the amount of private time Americans have for themselves and for their families. They also seem to have a clear sense of purpose both with their work and private life. (On the other hand, everybody having time in abundance creates a gap between those who give much thoughts to their actions and those who do not, creating social misfits.) Few people seem to go along with the flow and simply do the work at their companies. If they don't like their work or there is a better paying job most they readily switch their jobs. Company loyalty commonly found in Japan is not as prevalent. This quality may be interpreted as strong will on one hand, and as self-centeredness on the other hand. Perhaps because of this same quality, the divorce rate is very high in America being as high as 50 or 60%. I met somebody who had experienced divorce in 3 of the 6 host families with whom I stayed. Regardless of its consequences, strongly individualistic environment such as this seems to nurture one's ability to express and assert oneself.

The impression I had received from visiting various enterprises is that Japan seems far behind in systematization and making improvements at hospitals, schools, city halls, police stations, etc. To take schools as a clear example, in contrast to the Japanese system centering around memorization of facts, American system has as its goal to nurture the ability to think and the application of knowledge. American elementary schools offer computer classes and second languages such as French or Spanish starting in the lower elementary school for the reason that knowledge and skills are most effectively adsorbed from childhood.

America also provides community colleges where people can study the fields of their choice after entering into the business world. Their programs offer classes centering around practical applications for a reasonable tuition payment.

In spite of such excellent aspects of American culture, it is a fact that there remain social misfits who seem to have no purpose with their lives. The jobless and homeless people have become America's social problem. One topic that is brought up whenever social problems are discussed is racial prejudice. The black people support society's infrastructure. In companies, restaurant, or factories, black people seem to engage in the jobs that are most physically demanding. Aside from the problem that the black people tend to work less preferable jobs, they eliminate the problem of a labor shortage commonly found in Japan. In addition to racial prejudice, a severe drug problem also exists. I recall being shocked to witness drug education going on even in kindergartens. "Vocational days" on which I could observe some of the most popular restaurants in the area were part of my study of the American work place. There was one thing I always sensed when I spoke with the managers or supervisors of such successful restaurants and cafeterias. It was that these people tackled their duties with strong belief. They instilled in their workers their own convictions regarding what constitutes service and how to prepare best food. One important factor here is that they make sure to pursue optimization of the process. I felt that this is where the new ideas are continuously created. The experience has certainly left me with plenty to think about regarding my own work.

A different culture teaches many things good and bad. At times as a good teacher, at times, as a devil's advocate. By studying another culture, I feel as if I've come to understand my own for the first time. Of course, through the Rotary International G.S.E., I could study America herself, but I've also learned just how important it is to simply study another culture.

Finally, I'd just like to thank everyone involved for this wonderful experience. I will be happy to assist any way I can when the G.S.E. members from North Carolina come to Japan next year.