E. Dean Bray III

(Tire retreader and new tire dealer)

After being selected for the Rotary Group Study Exchange, I was anxious and skeptical, anxious to travel to a new country and experience a one-on-one exchange with our Japanese counterparts. But skeptical of how I would be received by a culture so different from ours. I had been conditioned to view misconceptions arose to motivate me.

Any misgivings I used to possess towards Japan were quickly dispelled as my exchange began. Within a few hours of arriving, I began to see the Japanese as far more similar to myself than different. The contrasts I did encounter were, if anything inspiring.

Upon arriving at the Osaka International Airport, after traveling for over twenty eight hours, I was warmly greeted by over fifty Rotarians waving American flags and presenting flowers. My images of cold hardened foreigners were quickly beginning to fade. I believe the American view of the Japanese continues to draw from the world war II perception. Although softened Japan is still seen as an enemy. This is not the case.

The Rotarians are a strong example of the kinship I experienced from the Japanese as a whole. The Rotary Clubs of Japan are united with American and worldwide Rotary Clubs through "sister cities". A bond of fellowship exists between these cities that is inspiring. The Japanese Rotarians told many stories of visiting their American counterparts and the warm receptions they were given.

I quickly moved into my daily schedule. Most days consisted of a combination of modern, cultural and personal events geared toward a well rounded view of Japanese life. On a typical day, I visited state of the art electronics in the morning, a Buddhist temple in the afternoon, and spent the evening as a welcomed member of my host family. Each of these activities was enlightening.

A large part of my tour consisted of meeting different Rotary Clubs; I spoke through interpreters, to a total of seven clubs. The Rotary Clubs of Japan were similar to American Clubs in meetings, programs, and goals for their local membership. When visiting various companies and universities, I was impressed by the attention and respect I was given. The company's president would allow the time to personally meet with us and tour the facility. I hope America would offer this same degree of respect and consideration. I think the G.S.E. Team to North Carolina received equal hospitality during their stay here.

And interesting difference between our societies was the efficiency of the public transportation system. I regularly used the subways, trains, and buses to travel from one site to and another without delay. I found their promptness to be refreshing, yet to the Japanese this was taken for granted.

In contrast to the modern facilities I toured, I saw a swordsmith carrying on a time honored tradition of his forefathers. His precision and care for detail was remarkable as he crafted a block of ore into a piece of art. Perhaps the most moving experience was a tree planting ceremony at the expo site. Six dogwood trees, in honor of North Carolina's state flower, were planted for each of our six members along with a plaque listing our team.

During my vocational days, an individually focused schedule, I visited companies related to my career. As a tire dealer, two retreading facilities. Each of these added to my understanding of my own business and gave insight into different means of accomplishing a common goal. The two retreaders were similarly third generation businesses looking forward to a long and profitable life as an established form of recycling.

Differences existed in the retail stores in the owner's physical connection to their business. Most owners lived either above or adjacent to their stores. While this may be a necessity tie to their career that few Americans can relate to. Similar to U.S. businesses, employees worked an average of 40 -50 hours per week with little weekend work. The highlight of the tour was the opportunity to live with five different families, averaging 3-6 days per household. This enabled us to become friends with our hosts instead of acquaintances. In addition, less time was spent traveling and more spent getting to know each other. Four families had at least one member who could speak English. The one family that could not, hired an independent interpreter during my stay. This kind of dedication to the program was encouraging, allowing us to talk one on one. Communication was not a major complication to the trip as I had anticipated.

This time gave us the opportunity to experience day to day Japanese life. Most meals were prepared at home; each family had a favorite dish and it was nice to be treated as one of the family. One family enjoyed tennis, jogging and soccer while others were into golf and learning English. Although our trip was limited to the Osaka area, we experienced many different foods and interests in our stays with the various families. It was overall an awarding experience that I have not had the advantage of before.

A stereotype of all Japanese being workaholics, looking alike, and being anti American is just that stereotype. I found the Japanese to be friendly, generous and genuinely caring toward Americans. They made a point to see that any needs were met, no matter how insignificant.

In closing, I would like to thank several people for allowing me to take part in this rewarding experience. First, my father for granting the time from work. I truly believe the experience I have gained professionally and personally will payoff in my career.

Secondly, the Mount Airy Rotary Club for my nomination, the Rotary District 769 for selection as a G.S.E. member, and the Rotary Foundation for the grants to cover my travel expenses. The Osaka Rotarian Clubs did an excellent job of planning our schedule of events to include a balance of modern and ancient Japanese life.

But most of all, I would like to personally thank the Japanese families for allowing and welcoming me into their homes. They have given me an experience which I will cherish and draw from the rest of my life. My home will always be open to them whenever they wish to visit North Carolina. I only hope I can repay part of the hospitality they have shown me.