Mark P. Reynolds

(Commercial real estate broker)

What a wonderful experience that I and my five team members from North Carolina, District 769 had in Japan. The opportunity to travel and study Japan was a priceless opportunity that I will remember and treasure the rest of my life. Only a chosen few in the world, with the assistance through the Rotary International will be able to exchange Culture, friendship and most importantly a better understanding of another land with such depth as we did.

WELCOMING

We embarked on a five week journey to a land that the six members from North Carolina did not know much about but were eager to learn. Apprehension filled my mind as we endured the thirty (30) hour flight from Atlanta Georgia, USA, to Osaka, Japan. Should I act any different? What should I expect from them? What will they think of us during a time that the Japanese and American government have difficulties with their economic relations? As you can see, I was uncertain what awaited me as we arrived in this foreign country.

Upon gathering our bags and checking through immigration, I noticed a group of people near the entrance to the airport. There were lights, camera, flowers and banners. As we drew near, I realized that the Japanese Rotary was there to greet us. The majority spoke English and we were able to communicate well. The reception was so warm and enthusiastic that we felt like we had been friends for a long time. I recognized some of the exchange group that visited North Carolina from their pictures in the G.S.E. Report, (Mire, Yoshitakia, Keiichi, Shigeo and Keizo).

Their participation with us was greatly appreciated. I felt a sense of family with them because they shared our same experience of visiting a foreign land. I only wish that we could of been available for them when they visited North Carolina.

JAPANESE CUISINE

I knew upon my departure that Japanese food would be different than what I was accustom to. Please, do not be led to believe that Japanese food is like that which Americans eat at Bennie Hanna or Kyoto Steakhouses. The favorite in Japan is sashimi, (raw seafood) and sushi, (raw seafood with rice seasoned lightly with vinegar). Eventually, I became accustom to these Japanese dishes. Personally, my choice was sukiyaki and shabu-shabu, which is a beef, vegetable and tofu dish. The beef in Japan is much tastier than that of its American counterpart. The Japanese beef is "marbleized" or fattier. Eels and octopus are not uncommon to be served in Japan. A typical Japanese meal consists of a main dish such as raw grilled fish, a bowl of rice, a bowl of "miso" soup and a dish of pickles. An economical meal that is popular with the work-force is "bento" or box lunch where the food is packed in a handy box. People who have not brought a lunch and are too busy to leave their desk can order meals by telephone. This service is called "demae" and is very common in Japan. McDonald's are becoming a common site as well. Japanese adhere to a low-fat, low cholesterol diet promoting a healthy life style.

ENTERTAINMENT

Karaoke is a form of Japanese entertainment that is extremely popular. Tapes are played with backing music, using a microphone. Karaoke bars have opened throughout Japan and are used by the young people as well as the old. People also enjoy this pastime at their homes. The people listening tolerate a poor singer, like myself, and applaud a good one. There are even private "karaoke" schools where you can practice your performance, I will always remember my forth host, Yoshikiyo Koori, singing at our dinner party, the song "She'll be comin' round the mountain" while Keiichi Nishimura played the violin. Mr. Koori sang this song in honor of my fiance who is from West Virginia. West Virginia is very well known for their beautiful mountains. I will always cherish that wonderful memory.

RELIGION

Zen Buddhism, Shinto and Protestant are among the major religions of Japan. During our stay in Yao City, we were fortunate to attend a Protestant Church for Sunday service. A guest Minister from California, USA, was sharing the pulpit. The American Minister gave his sermon while the Japanese Minister would translate. The congregation listened intently. It was evident they enjoyed the sermon by the standing ovation they gave concluding the service. The Protestant Churches are similar in faith as well as architecture to the Protestant religion in the United States. Zen Buddhism involves using meditation to attain the ideal state of Buddhist Salvation. Meditation is used to transcend all physical and emotional desires. It has been referred to as "communication without words, expression without letters." Further, "truth is not expressed through words or knowledge, rather it is obtained through experience." We also had the pleasure of visiting the Kabu-San Temple. We participated in Zen meditation and a tea ceremony.

Shinto, considered the indigenous religion of Japan, has no founder and no bible. It is a form of worship between individual and nature. Historically, there is an indefinite number of Gods. Many Japanese people visit shrines when their babies are born and are married with Shinto ceremonies. My understanding regarding Shinto religion today, is that it is no more a convenient tradition in the daily lives of most Japanese people who have no particular God.

PUBLIC WORKS

The heavy population of Osaka and surrounding areas with limited land usage, has forced Japanese utilities to become very efficient. As a group we visited Osaka City Water Works Bureau and Kansai Electric Company (Takahama Nuclear Power Plant). Water is treated with chemicals much like that in North Carolina but at a greater volume. Nuclear power is considered controversial in the United States. Our visit to the nuclear power plant was most interesting. The plant operators feel confident that nuclear power is the most reliable, safe and efficient form of energy to be used in Japan. As in any nuclear reaction process, radioactive material (waste) is a leftover product.

Incidentally, during our visit a ship with a radioactive waste container returned to Japan from the United Kingdom. The United Kingdom had agreed to store the material for an undisclosed amount of time (approximately a few years). Japan as well as the United States are continually researching ways to safely store this contaminated waste to minimize its potential harmful effects on our global society.

CLOSING

My stay in Japan will always be remembered as joyous, adventurous, revealing and compassionate. I will never forget the way the Japanese people opened their hearts and homes to the six Americans from North Carolina.

The Japanese Rotarians planted six dogwood trees (North Carolina State tree) with a marble plaque, inscribing each team members name, in the recently completed Osaka Flower Expo Park. It was then, that I realized that I would return with my children to this wonderful land. I want to introduce them to these people and places and I want them and their generation to have a better understanding of the Japanese people and to see what is represented by these six beautiful dogwood trees.

Also in closing, I would like to quote the infamous Professor, Albert Einstein. I feel that this letter he wrote corresponds to the intentions of the Rotary Exchange between Japan and the United States.

"In sending this greeting to you Japanese school-children, I can lay claim to a special right to do so. For I have myself visited your beautiful country, seen its cities and houses, its mountains and woods, and the Japanese boys who had learned to love their country for its beauty. A big fat book full of colored drawings by Japanese children lies always on my table.

If you get my message of greeting from all this distance, remember that ours is the first age in history to bring about friendly and understanding intercourse between people of different nationalities; in former times nations passed their lives in mutual ignorance and in fact in hatred or fear of one another. May the spirit of brotherly understanding gain more and more ground among them. With this in mind I, an old man, greet you Japanese school-children from afar and hope that your generation may some day put mine to shame."

Albert Einstein visited Japan in 1922. "Ideas and Opinions by Albert Einstein" Copyright MCMLIV by Crown Publisher, Inc.