My GSE Experiences (1)

Hiroe Nakanishi

(Team member: Konohana Gakuin High School employee)

I had a wonderful time during my 1-month long trip to R.I. D-5650 in Nebraska and Iowa.

First, I would like to express my heartfelt gratitude to everyone in R.I. D-2660 who gave me the opportunity to experience such wonderful vocational study and cultural exchange. In particular, thank you to the Osaka-Tonan club who allowed me to attend your regular meeting in February, before we left for America, and who have again invited me to speak here at your "Home Meeting."

Also, I am so thankful to President of this club, Mr. Matsubayashi, who not only saw me off at the airport but also came to meet me upon my return.

And, above all, thank you to team leader Mr. Okuda, who is a member of this club, for all the things you did for me starting more than a year before our departure. As you all know, his English is excellent, and he helped us all tremendously during our travels. Actually, it wasn't just Americans who were impressed by his English. We had the opportunity to talk directly with Japanese people living in the United States (employees of a Japanese company in Clarinda, Iowa and Japanese university students in York, Nebraska), but after meeting these people living in America, I still couldn't help thinking, "I've never met anyone who is able to speak such natural English as Mr. Okuda." Thanks to him and his strength, we were able to fulfill our responsibilities in the GSE program without worry.

The month since our return has passed by quickly, and I hope that I will be able to share with you all, even briefly, the things I felt (and am still feeling) and the things I learned in my vocational study.

Looking back, I have many nostalgic memories of the events leading up to my departure: the depression I felt after March 28 last year, when I was suddenly faced with an interview in English and questioned about Japanese culture, and was unable to satisfactorily answer the questions (I had been looking forward to the GSE selection test with a light and eager heart), the opportunities I had later to meet many Rotarians and learn about the Rotary's activities and the Rotary spirit, and seeing the mutual determination of all Rotarians. In addition, I was fortunate to have the chance, before my own departure to the United States, to meet the GSE team members from Nebraska here in Japan in October last year. Because of that, not only were we able to get to know them before we left for America, but through our day trip to Awaji Island, going out to sing karaoke, etc. we were able to have a deep and meaningful cultural exchange.

And then there was our 4-week long trip which at times seemed long and at other times seemed short. We visited a total of 16 Rotary clubs, with almost daily visits on the weekdays. It was a rather hard schedule, but we were able to meet so many Rotarians and spend a very concentrated and meaningful time with everyone. The atmosphere at the meetings was a bit different than that of Japanese meetings, and even though I was nervous at first, I now miss those meetings. The typical meeting was held in the daytime with lunch served, with the people coming in intermittently in groups of 3 to 5 people. They began with a buffet-style lunch, and after people found a seat they talked, ate and laughed together. After eating, the program began at the appropriate time and everything proceeded in a very straightforward manner. Because it was the first time for me to experience such a meeting, and because Mr. Okuda made sure that all the team members were split up and sitting all around the room, I was uneasy at first. However, after some greetings and sharing self-introductions, and after being treated kindly by those around me, I soon found my uneasiness dissipating and was able to enjoy myself.

Also, because of the various arrangements made by the different clubs, there were many different things planned for me, such as visits to government offices, a courthouse, schools, hospitals and local businesses. I was even taken to the local museum to learn about the region's culture and history.

Everyday brought its own new, fresh and exciting feelings. Because of my profession, I have been interested in American schools for some time, and I was able to visit a total of 12 different schools, from the elementary through university level. If I had to sum up my impressions in one sentence, I would say that things seemed free and relaxed. This might be attributed to the fact that in America, they do not have any so called "entrance examination wars."

I was able to sit in on several classes, and I saw that American education is not centered around the cramming in of facts and information like here in Japan. Rather, students also share their own opinions and discuss them among themselves. In fact, the interaction between students and teachers and between the students themselves was sometimes quite intense!

In particular, as I had expected, the students had complete freedom in regard to what they wore, their make-up, hair style, etc. Which made the schools seem like Japanese universities.

I would like to share with you now about the school which made the strongest impression on me during my time in America Lincoln High School.

At Lincoln High School, there was a nursery school provided for the students! I had known before going to America that there is a problem with teen pregnancy and motherhood, but I was really shocked to learn that socially things have progressed to the point where there are nursery school facilities provided in the high schools for teen mothers. To be sure, this is a wonderful system from the standpoint that it allows all students to have the same equal opportunity to receive an education without any hindrances. Not only is it a facility where students can leave their babies while they study, but the staff also provide teen mothers with help and training in raising their children. Here in Japan, as well, it is possible that teen pregnancy and motherhood will become a major problem in the future, I think. At the same time, however, I feel there are also some minuses to having teenage high school students giving birth and raising children, and these minuses seem to outweigh the pluses. I couldn't help but feel that it certainly is the American way.

One thing I will never forget is meeting my host families. During my four weeks in America, I had 12 different homestays, with the average being two nights per family (the longest was three nights and in two cases I just stayed one night). It was a very busy schedule moving from one place to another. But, in every home I visited, I was treated more as a family member than as a guest, and everyone was friendly and open with me. The unhurried time we were able to spend together was short, but I was able to see up close a variety of Rotarians' home life, lifestyle and work.

Also, one thing that I can say was true, everywhere I went was that "They love their family members, trust each other, take pride in their community, and love their neighborhood." The negative image that we Japanese have of America that it is "individualistic, frightening because people are free to own guns, and crime is rampant. And Japanese are easy targets for criminals" seems to be substantiated, especially recently. But, the Midwest is quite different than this image, and in many ways is similar to what we find here in the Japanese countryside.

For example, when parking their cars, most people there do not lock the doors. There is a firm sense of community, and things are safe there because people are living an abundant and meaningful life. My being able to visit a part of America where the aroma of the good old days still lingers, and being able to rub shoulders with those who live there, has made this part of America seem like my second "hometown."

My participation in this GSE program has given me priceless memories which will surely be with me forever. I feel deeply, again, just how wonderful an organization Rotary International is because of how the Rotary continually provides young people with the chance to experience a meaningful and attractive time of cultural exchange. It may be that the Rotary spirit and purpose -- "international understanding and goodwill" --is born in the heart through such opportunities to meet others as this.

It is my intention to keep these feelings burning in my heart, and to pour my energies into doing whatever I can to be helpful to the Rotary and its cause.

Finally, I want to take this opportunity to once again express my gratitude to those who gave me this wonderful opportunity. Thank you to district past governor and present chairman of Rotary Foundation committee, Mr.Furuta and to all the members of the Osaka-Tonan Rotary Club.