Karen Keith

(Team member, Physiotherapist)

A phone call in another busy day, this time my husband. "How would you like to go to Japan?" Of course I would I answered with a slight hint of excitement. Here began the GSE team selection process. My husband went on to explain the procedure to me after he had received a phone call from John Abraham from our local rotary club. I was preparing to go to a conference overseas so hurriedly completed the forms and left thinking no more of it. Little did I know it was to lead to a life changing experience. For myself and also for my family.

On my return I went on to be selected for the GSE team and the time quickly disappeared with meetings as the group got to know each other and plan our presentation. One of the big disappointments that followed was the decision of one of our team members that he would be unable to go to Osaka. The preparation needed to leave my business for six weeks seemed insurmountable, at times it would have been easier not to go. Soon it looked like becoming a reality as the challenges of organizing my absence fell into place and I decided that this would indeed be a great experience. My local rotary club Waimate were extremely supportive and it was an honor to be selected to represent New Zealand.

The arrival of the itinerary renewed enthusiasm and caused much discussion on what the people would be like and where we would be going. My secretary had become the honorary team secretary and deserved much credit for her management and help with our uniform and relaying many messages between team members.

At the time of pre-selection I had little knowledge of rotary but this certainly changed. My enthusiasm for the rotary foundation and the international programs will continue. I prepared for the trip by reading several books on Japan and trying to learn some language via tapes and a CD on the computer. My children also took on this challenge and so created some competition. We came in contact with Sachiyo who was in our district on a working holiday from Osaka. She met with our family, answered our many questions and since has become a family friend.

On arrival, our time in Tokyo at the language school was very useful although at times it seemed a real challenge. It was a lot of fun and also a gentle introduction to Japan and its culture before we met our host families and rotary commitments. I very much enjoyed being able to look around for a while by ourselves and just take it all in.

When I look back over my five weeks with different families. I realize I really enjoyed my first week as my family were very good at explaining to me in slightly limited English how everything worked in their home e.g. bathroom, shoes on and off etc. They answered my endless questions and taught me a vast amount about their culture. I enjoyed all of the homestays. Although the week two of the team stayed with the one family, I felt I did not get as much time with the family as I would have liked and I think it is better to have only one member with each family.

Because of the language barrier the hotel stops were very much appreciated to give some time out and allow you to have some space. We were looked after very well but sometimes it was good to escape so you could make your own decisions and have some freedom. Looking at my career physiotherapy and also the teaching of acupuncture, the exchange was a wonderful opportunity to gain knowledge and make contacts for the future.

My study days were very worthwhile and I was lucky that the Yao rotary club arranged for me to go back to a clinic that I did not get enough time at on the first visit. Dr. Kayama and I enjoyed exchanging ideas and at this stage I was wishing I was more fluent at Japanese. I enjoyed finding out about the different training systems for physiotherapy and acupuncture.

The Meiji School of Oriental Medicine was another highlight to visit. I have since had some correspondence with them on my return home. Having interpreters with us for the study days was excellent and it would not have been successful otherwise. They were very good but they found the technical language a real challenge and this often meant more time was needed. Because of timetable changes for one visit there was no interpreter and it was very hard to communicate and not really worthwhile.

More than anything, not being able to read the language was more of a disability than the speech as you could usually make yourself understood with a dictionary and some charades.

Japan seems to be a nation that moves like clockwork. I never tired of just watching the people move about. So many people so orderly and polite. The service in shops and restaurants was something to be admired.

Osaka in the spring with the sakura (cherry blossom) is a beautiful time to visit. The homes were a mix of new and old with traditional tatami rooms and modern technology. The children I found to be very young compared to ours. I think that in the schools they are taught as one instead of learning to be independent and think laterally. I can see how people coming to New Zealand must find it very difficult when they are from such a vastly different culture such as Japan.

A highlight of my trip was going to see Kabuki -Japanese theatre. Learning about the culture and history of Japan. Also sampling the food which is so different to ours. I can now say my technique of using hashi (chopsticks) is very much improved from when I first arrived in Japan. We saw so many places that you would never see if you traveled alone to Japan and were welcomed so warmly into peoples' hearts and homes. Japan for me will always seem like home and I wish one day to return with my family. I hope that we will receive return visits as many people have expressed their interest in coming to New Zealand.

On my return to home I found going back to work very difficult. I miss the food, speaking Japanese and the people. Although it was good to be home with my family. It was great to see the incoming GSE team at our Waimate club and I, spent a morning with them jet boating on the Waitaki. I have many speaking commitments coming up which I am looking forward too. Also since my arrival home I have received mail from several work contacts which has been much appreciated.

I felt it would be good for the incoming team to stay with a family for a week rather than a few days.

For two of our weeks we received a more detailed itinerary. This was very much appreciated and would have been good to have at the beginning of every week.

The saga of the uniform took up too much time in proportion to other things, it was a difficult task.

The GSE experience has been very worthwhile and valuable for my career. I would like to thank all who made it possible. Rotary offers many opportunities for people in the promotion of world peace and understanding with the exchange programs available for youth and the study programs.

I am grateful to have had this opportunity.