Lynaire Ryan

(Team Member, Agricultural consultant)

As I commence this report I would sincerely like to thank all people involved in my Rotary GSE Programme - this was an opportunity of a lifetime, and involved such a range of people who helped make it a very special and important time. Many people shared generously of their time, life experiences, resources, and through excellent planning ensured a very fruitful time. Examples of Rotary's motto "Service Above Self" were demonstrated frequently. This Programme offers a unique opportunity - an education in business and culture, while at the same time making new friends and having the opportunity to travel to a new county.

I have two indelible memories that will last with me forever. Firstly to be standing side by side with Japanese people singing the National Anthem of each country with pride and fellowship at Rotary meetings. Secondly an array of thoughts, feelings and discussions resulting from our day trip to Hiroshima. I felt the unity of humanity and the joy of sharing common beliefs in peace and goodwill, despite language and cultural barriers. Rotary's objective for the advancement of international understanding, goodwill and peace was certainly achieved through every minute of our stay with Osaka District 2660. Thank you all!!

Why did I apply?

Several years ago I heard about the Rotary GSE Programme. It sounded superb. An excellent length of time - enough to get a good insight into a country but not so long that you needed to resign from work. Staying with families and particularly Rotarians, who hold "service principles" in high regard, really appealed. Here was a chance for an educational, fulfilling and fun trip.

I saw an advertisement placed in the local Temuka paper. Japan was high on my list of "must visit soon" countries, and with my company's close customer links with Japan and my strong involvement in TQM this seemed like a tailor-made trip for me. Full of enthusiasm I survived the interview process and joined fellow team members to begin the serious task of preparation, along with reading every book in the local library about Japan. A "Japanese for Beginners" cassette tape was played repeatedly every time I was in the car for longer than five minutes.

The several pre-departure planning weekends were valuable - planning for a uniform consumed far too much time and energy - in hindsight this could have been better handled -but I found the benefits of a uniform (3 choices) excellent.

Language School Tokyo

Our four days spent at Berlitz Language School was fabulous. A range of teachers utilized every ability we could muster. Our progress was amazing while at the school, but once with Rotarians I personally did not develop my skills as many hosts spoke English, and we seldom had to fend for ourselves in traveling, shopping, etc which is a natural way to learn the language. In the one or two part days I had managing by myself my language skills would spurt ahead.

Business visits

We visited a range of interesting businesses - Matsushita (Panasonic and National brand), Sanyo, Nippon Telegraph and Telephone, Osaka City Hospital, Osaka Municipal Library, Central Japan Railway company, traditional sweet factory. Our visit to Sanyo for example certainly changed my perspective of the world - the total sales for Sanyo company is approximately equal to the total income generated by all of New Zealand's exports - that really puts our little country into perspective. This is all produced by 25,000 employees. Mind boggling! ! I enjoyed detail on business structure and quality improvement and would have enjoyed even more insight into business economics - eg the operation of the share market, detail on the National economy, the effect of the exchange rate, government spending etc.

Rotary meetings

I thoroughly enjoyed Rotary meetings. It was very emotional for me to stand shoulder to shoulder with another race sharing our national anthems and the Rotary song. Our slide presentation of New Zealand - its geography, population, scenery, business, economic reforms, sport and leisure seem well received. The Japanese were stunned at our astonishingly low prices for a game of golf and the fact I could wake up on a sunny weekend and choose from any one of 5 golf courses within 10 minutes drive. Meetings function very smoothly and attendance rates are high - perhaps this has something to do with the hefty membership subscription which includes pre-paid meals! Vocational impact

Much planning had gone into my vocational visits which were very worthwhile. I was overwhelmed at the details and co-operation I received. From a work perspective these vocational visits provided value to my employers as part of my personal development and heightened understanding of the company's business.

Staying with families

The highlight of the tour was staying with each family. I am so happy to have met the Mitsuyama, Sakai, Ishiyama, Esaki, and Yamamoto families. Every host family shared so much of their lives with me - personal beliefs and opinions, explanations and education about their daily life, culture and country, introductions to friends and family. We had many great late night and breakfast discussions. Everyone made so much effort to communicate - one night we had three dictionaries busy! I loved experiencing family life. Homes were fabulous - sleeping on tatami mats, seeing family shrines, experiencing Japanese bathrooms and heated toilet seats were all new for me. I don't wear shoes inside at home now anymore -this is a new habit I would like to adopt from Japan. Before traveling to Japan I had very few opportunities to mix with Japanese people. I would frequently see tour groups but had limited personal interaction. Previously all Japanese seemed the same. Now I am thrilled to say I see each person in their own light - as an individual - for me this is the most important part of any international travel - seeing beyond the generalizations made about any nationality and learning more about each person. Breaking this cultural barrier is the beginning of experiencing real understanding of others.

Culture

There is much to learn about the Japanese culture which we experienced through visits to shrines, temples, green tea ceremonies, and dining out. Besides these visits living in Japan is the best education you could get. I was most impressed by the polite mannerisms and the respect for each person which allows a nation of 120 million people to co-exist peacefully.

Ambassador for Rotary

People are very interested in this Group Study Programme and Rotary. There are many eligible people who were not aware of this study opportunity. Perhaps promotion at universities or through various professional societies may be of benefit in widening the awareness of this beneficial programme.

Team Experience

It was excellent traveling together as a group - we could share and gain more from each experience. Margaret provided excellent leadership skills which guided our team in a cohesive manner while having a lot of fun. I really appreciated my team members Margaret, Karen, Samantha and Nigel. I have 6 hours of video footage of our trip, which will allow us to frequently reminisce and recall events of this trip throughout our lives. In Closing

Domo arigato goizamasu to everyone, known and unknown, who contributed to this wonderful trip.