Nigel Udy

(Team member, Academic manager)

What prompted you to apply for membership on a Group Study Exchange team? How did you become aware of the GSE programme? How was the programme promoted in your community?

Although there was no promotion in my area of GSE, a local Rotarian whom I work with had invited me to apply for the Exchange over the last 3 years.

My family situation was such that 1997 was the first opportunity I had of being able to go. My local Rotarian provided me with basic information about the Exchange programme, although I felt that this was inadequate.

At the time of application, how extensive was your knowledge of Rotary International and The Rotary Foundation? Since your return, how has your understanding of Rotary changed?

When I left for the Exchange, my knowledge of GSE and Rotary Foundation was almost non-existent. I have since learnt much especially the extent of such Exchange Programmes. My understanding of Rotary has also grown, not only on an International basis, but also the work that is carried out locally.

How was the application/selection process conducted in your district?

The application process occurred as follows:

l ) Applications received "

2) An Interview was held at my house at 9 pm by 2 Rotarians.

3) Final selection in Dunedin with a formal 15 minute interview and an interaction meal with other interviewees and interviewers.

Once selected, how did you prepare for your trip abroad? Did you do any of your own research on the culture, customs. Geography, climate, etc. of the region you were to visit? What resources were most helpful to you in this endeavour?

Although I had all sorts of plans to learn Japanese prior to departing on the Exchange, the only Japanese reading I did was in preparation of my interview for selection.

What was accomplished at your team orientation meetings? How many meetings did you have? How long did the meetings last? What topics were discussed at the meetings?

Although I do not recall the exact number of meetings, I believe it to be approximately 5. Most of the discussion centred around what gifts to take and what uniform to wear. My personal opinion was that there were significant amounts of down time in the meetings. Perhaps a meeting with a previous team leader from the previous year could have helped falling into the same problems other teams have.

If you participated in Rotary-funded language and cultural training sessions, describe the experience. Did you feel better prepared to experience life in the host country after the programme? How did the programme help the team to solidify and interact?

One week was spent in Tokyo prior to travelling to Osaka. This time was specifically to learn the language (Beginners!). Although the programme was useful and beneficial to me, my personal learning style was such that I learnt at a significantly slower pace than the rest of the team. This may have also been due to other team members preparing themselves better in New Zealand than I did to begin learning a Foreign language! It was still critical, however, to attend the training (I just felt sorry for my team mates who may have been slowed down).

Did your district receive a copy of the study tour itinerary before you departed for the host country? Were there modifications made to the itinerary before or during your study tour? Did the itinerary provide a thorough, well-balanced picture of the host country?

A copy of the itinerary was eventually received (would have preferred to have received it earlier). Changes were made which were quite satisfactory. The itinerary I doubt showed most socio-economic aspects of Japan, but rather the upper class; This is obviously expected so as to show a best possible profile to foreigners.

Describe your vocational experience in the host country. Since your return, how has your vocational study abroad affected your career?

The trip consisted of 1 week language study in Tokyo and 5 weeks Exchange in Osaka. It was excellent to have 6 days with a host family, enough time to get to know the family and develop the beginnings of relationships. It was also valuable to have 1 night each week in a hotel with only the team members to be able to have time to ourselves and relax. Most days there were aspects of sight-seeing or shopping. Approximately every 2-3 days was a speaking engagement with a Rotarian Club. Much of the sight-seeing related to Japanese Culture and History. My vocational days were probably the least valuable of all my Exchange Programme, but all other days were thoroughly enjoyed and extremely valuable. Since my return, I have found my work has been extremely difficult. The pressure to catch up on 6 weeks of absenteeism has brought extreme pressure to my position.

How did staying with families in the host district figure into your overall GSE experience?

Probably the most enjoyable part of my entire Exchange was spending time with each of the 5 host families (one of which is coming out to New Zealand in August). This was the only opportunity to experience Japanese Culture and life in a real environment All other aspects of the trip were basically showing a specific side of Japan for impression sake.

What were the most noteworthy or moving experiences during your GSE tour? Have these events brought you to any new realizations about yourself or your culture? About your host country and its people?

Just living in another culture identifying alterative lifestyles to that of my own country was valuable. I have grown especially to appreciate Japanese people more, (in New Zealand). This, I guess, relates to all nationalities in New Zealand. A better appreciation for variation from my own culture.

Highlights included -

/playing golf

/new Otani Hotel

/visiting Hiroshima

/bullet train ride

/Tokyo, Disneyland

/Professional baseball at Osaka Dome

/Visit of Osaka-Jo

/Osaka Aquarium

/Night Clubs

/Karaoke

/Chartered Boat Cruises

/New Japan Sauna

/Staying with Host Families.

Have you had opportunities to speak publicly about your study tour since your return? If yes, where, when and what were your impressions?

Since being in New Zealand I have spoken at 2 non-Rotarian organizations and 2 Rotarian meetings with another meeting to speak to in a week's time. All audiences appeared to be responsive and enjoyed the discussion.

What contributions do you feel you have made as a GSE team member to further Rotary's goals?

I believe I have been a good ambassador for, not only Rotary, but also for New Zealand. I am confident that our team in general has helped to improve relations with many of the Japanese people we met during the Exchange Whether you want to call this "World Peace" or a greater understanding, is a technical wording for improving relations between countries.