Debriefing by D-6150 GSE Team Leader, Bob Alvey

Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 15:30:36 -0500

(Dear Bob: One week has passed since you left Osaka and Japan. I suppose you are finding some difficulty in adapting yourself again to your daily American life after such a long absence. Now, I am liberating myself and back to my normal days and beginning to miss you and your team members very much. I wish I had time to talk with you more about Japan and its society, people and culture as well as those of U.S.A.. Maybe we can exchange e-mail on these matters often hereafter. Last year, we got debriefing from New Zealand team about their stay in our district however this year we didn't because there was little time. So I would like to hear your personal and straight opinion on following by e-mail. Shigeo)

1) Was there any complaint on the schedule from your team members? Was the schedule too hard for them?

As you know, my team felt it had not had time to recover from the flight before beginning the program. They were prepared, based on RI requirements, to have 24 hours down time. The delayed flights and your committee's commitment to making the trip memorable put the schedule in our lap pretty quick. However, I must also take responsibility for not preparing the team for the possibility that the schedule we begin sooner. Your first week schedule was great, but pretty busy. The other weeks were a bit slower. In retrospect, the effort was worth it. WOW!

Another problem was the loss of Saturdays and Sunday mornings for team business and to recuperate. Our great hosts wanted to show us all a good time and weekend activities resulted in little or no time to recuperate from the week's schedule.

I really like the concept of giving Saturday nights to the team rather than a mid-trip hiatus. I would suggest that for future teams, though, the Rotarians coordinating the itinerary make it very clear to all involved that while the weekdays and nights are busy and extra events scheduled, weekend activities should be held down as much as possible.

2) I put most of my effort to prepare proper vocational study for each of you. Was the study useful for you or not so good as expected?

Everyone said that their vocational days were very interesting. For Jerri, JJ and me, there were times when it was more show and tell than sit down and discuss vocations. For me, I think that Dentsu is just used to doing client presentations, and I garnered much from my visits there and with you and Ban-san. JJ would have preferred more behind the scenes tours and discussions at the museums. I told her to be assertive and ask for such, but it was late in the third week before she had the confidence to do so. That was her problem and my mistake.

3) What Japanese food do you like and don't like? (Tell us truth.)

Both JJ and Jerri were warming to Japanese food by the time we left. Ross, Kevin and I loved the food. None of us were very impressed with the chicken-based meal after the play. I am craving Japanese sticky rice. The Japanese restaurant here uses something similar, but it is not the same. I truly loved the food. As for natto, only Ross liked that. You, the committee and the hosts did a great job feeding us and caring for us.

4) How do you evaluate your hotel stay?

Excellent. Much needed down time and privacy.

5) Number of club visits. Was it adequate?

I would have enjoyed more, but then I'm also a Rotarian. The team felt that two a week was a good pace.

6) Number of host families. One host for one week. Was it good for you?

One host family per week was great! The only time that I felt it was a bit compromised was when Ross and I shared the same host one week. We did great, but it's really nice being alone with your host families in the evening. The idea, as you know, is to get to know your host country and its people. Two team members in one home allows for more interaction between the team members and less with families.

On a side note, I don't think that I would match a team leader with a member on these double assignments. Team member to team member might be a better approach.

7) Are there things to be improved?

Shigeo, I have given this much thought. The trip was fabulous. It will be one of the most memorable times in my life. I like to think that it has changed me, that I am changing now based on what I learned from you and your countrymen and women.

I can give you one suggestion, but it is minor in the scheme of the entire trip. Let the team know the process for visiting each team. Sometimes we were led to a room to meet the officers and freshen up. Other times we went straight into the meeting (probably because of itinerary delays and running behind). One time we climbed four flights of stairs in the heat of the day and walked right into the room without warning. One member had to excuse himself to put on his tie (which should have been on to begin with, and we were scrambling for banners, gifts, etc., while be shepherded to our assigned seats.

But Shigeo, I will never forget the trip and believe that it was a success for all involved on our side. And Rotarian friends tell me that if you're team hates you by the end of the trip, you've done your job.

Not sure that is true, and have reviewed situations which I could have handled better, but that reflects on me as a team leader. You guys did great! And the cherry blossom time frame was fantastic. WOW!